« October 2001 | Main | December 2001 »

November 30, 2001

Another Freelance Hub lunch is

Another Freelance Hub lunch is around the corner on Thursday, December 13 at the Alewife Bertucci's in Cambridge, MA. If you are an Internet/Web freelancer, small business owner or someone interested in freelancing: learn more about the lunch and RSVP!

November 27, 2001

I've been having a fun

I've been having a fun time helping Rose Polenzani out with her field rep program. Rose, the official favorite musician of sooz.com, is back on tour with Voices on the Verge. Check out the schedules at voicesontheverge.com and rosepolenzani.com. If you are in my part of the world, she's playing a solo show at the Somerville Theater opening for Lori McKenna on Friday, December 7, 2001. You can buy tickets at the Somerville Theater or from Songstreet Productions. See you there? Oh, if you have no idea what Rose sounds like, download an MP3 of a song called "Mary Lee."

November 22, 2001

Ani Difranco has such an

Ani Difranco has such an amazing way with words. She's working on a poem inspired by the 9/11 events. [by way of abbe]

Here's a snippet:

... and i'll tell you what, while we're at it
you can keep the pentagon
keep the propaganda
keep each and every tv
that's been trying to convince me
to participate in some prep school punk's plan to perpetuate retribution
perpetuate retribution
even as the blue toxic smoke of our lesson in retribution is still hanging in the air
and there's ash on our shoes
and there's ash in our hair
and there's a fine silt on every mantle
from hell's kitchen to brooklyn
and the streets are full of stories
sudden twists and near misses
and soon every open bar is crammed to the rafters
with tales of narrowly averted disasters
and the whiskey is flowin
like never before
as all over the country, folks just shake their heads
and pour ...

November 20, 2001

I stumbled across this website

I stumbled across this website following links in the "About" section at Blogger. Jerry Michalski refers to himself as a sociate. What a great word. I certainly identify with his definition:

what I like to do -- associate people and ideas -- and
what I believe most about the Net: that it's a social medium.

November 19, 2001

Cal and friends just launched

Cal and friends just launched "Secret Santa" -- what a fun little project. All you need to do is create an account at the Secret Santa website and indicate the location of your Amazon.com wishlist. On December 10th Santa will send out lots of e-mails to everyone who wants to join in. They'll include the name of the person you're getting a gift for, the address of their web site and the address of their Amazon wishlist. I was hoping I'd receive the Coolpix 5000; but I guess it's a few pennies more than the suggested $15.

November 18, 2001

After my last post, Michael

After my last post, Michael enlightened me regarding where the term "irregulars" originates. Aha!

The next Freelance Hub lunch

The next Freelance Hub lunch in Cambridge is Thursday, December 13th. I updated the freelance-hub page and added an rsvp form for curious individuals who want to learn more about the lunch and/or RSVP. The photo album has been updated with a blurb and pointer to the rsvp3:the 80s photo album. And if that's not enough excitement, I also created a discussion thread/area at QuickTopic called "sooz.com irregulars" -- the name is borrowed from Keith Dawson's "TBTF Irregulars" (and whomever he might have borrowed the name from, if anyone). I figured it might be nice for all the people on the mailing list to have a venue to communicate. At least, it seemed like a good idea. We'll see! If you want to check it out, join the mailing list (see the sign-up box on the right?) or bug me. The nice thing about QuickTopic is that it's very unobtrusive -- you can choose to have replies to your posts emailed to you or just check in on the Web every now and then. And it's free, too.

Michael and I managed to stay up late last night to watch the Leonids excitement in the sky. Our vantage point was the baseball field next to our apartment complex. After living here three years, I had no idea we had such a great view of the sky. Sure, it doesn't compare to Nebraska (where I grew up); but a pretty good view overall. If only I could remember more from my college astronomy class.

November 17, 2001

It looks like the stream

It looks like the stream dropping problems are no longer problematic for sooz!radio. (Well, at least as I'm typing this anyway.) Wondering what's playing right now at this very moment? Check out the "now playing" console. It updates when a new song starts.

Jeffrey has a pointer to

Jeffrey has a pointer to Excite's Japanese translation of his recent glamour entry. I copied the code to translate Halcyon's Independents Day essay. It mangles the page's design; but other than that -- very interesting! Check it out.

I just ordered Visibone's "Styles"

I just ordered Visibone's "Styles" color foldout. It's a handy little laminated "cheat sheet." For $10 you get eight panels of CSS informational goodness. Check out the selection of folders released September 2001 at Visibone.

November 13, 2001

If you're trying to listen

If you're trying to listen to sooz!radio and the broadcast drops frequently (it's been happening to me a lot today), Live365 is looking into it. It'll be resolved soon. They're good like that.

November 10, 2001

The first Independents Day "online

The first Independents Day "online content event" is taking place on Monday, November 12th starting at 7am EST. Every six hours, two articles written by independent web artists and writers from around the world will appear on the website. Check out www.independentsday.org to join the mailing list and see the unveilings on Monday.

November 07, 2001

The Independents Day project joined

The Independents Day project joined forces with the SXSW Interactive Festival in Austin, TX March 8-12, 2002! ID is leading three panels on Sunday, March 10th, 2002. The panel I'm moderating is titled ""Building a Buzz with Independent Content" which will be about how independent web creators can (if they should at all) create awareness about their web projects. Jeffrey Zeldman is moderating the "What is Independent Content" panel and Carole Guevin is leading the "Independent Design: Trend-Setting Expression" panel. Panelists for each session will include fellow ID participants. We're also organizing a social shindig for Saturday night called "Independents Night" -- more info on that when the venue is confirmed.

I attended my first SXSW festival March 2001 and thoroughly enjoyed it -- a useful, affordable conference plus fun evening events and parties like Fray Cafe. If you're thinking about attending, get in touch and we can conspire. Also, if you launched (or redesigned) a Web site in 2001, check out SXSW's web awards -- submit your site-- the deadline is December 1st!

Warning: include(/home/susank/sooz.com/refer/refer.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/susank/sooz.com/archives/2001/11/index.php on line 525

Warning: include(): Failed opening '/home/susank/sooz.com/refer/refer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear') in /home/susank/sooz.com/archives/2001/11/index.php on line 525