« February 2003 | Main | April 2003 »

March 31, 2003

Blogshares and cheap (free) amusement?

I like to consider myself easily amused. So, when I saw a link to Blogshares on James' website, I signed up. I don't consider sooz.com a real weblog but that's OK. Most of the other 130,030,555 websites out there who call themselves weblogs probably aren't either. Remember when we had websites and published on the web for the fun of it? I guess it's a pasttime not entirely long forgotten. Almost. But back to Blogshares ... I can't figure out why Michael's shares aren't available yet.

March 30, 2003

Back from Nebraska

Michael and I returned from Nebraska late yesterday afternoon. It was nice to return to mostly warm weather. There was a little snow in Omaha last night and I was hoping it wouldn't follow us home to Boston.

I'm extremely behind in email. But at least there are a few emails from friends admist the 12,000 spam emails.

Michael picked out a bunch of old photographs of me that were gathering dust in photo albums at my mom's house. We'll probably scan them and put some of them online sometime this week.

My mom passing away is still not feeling completely real. But I guess that will all come with time. I'm really grateful that Michael went back with me. That made a big difference. We also got in some fun stuff, too. We spent a few hours at the Henry Doorly Zoo and met up with old friends who I had not seen in eight years. And we also had our required visit(s) at The Antiquarium Bookstore in The Old Market area of downtown Omaha. I'll write more about that stuff when I post photos I took. It was nice to have a chance to see a lot (a LOT) of people I had not seen in years. I just wish the reason for the visit had not been so sad. Hopefully we'll be able to get back once or twice this summer.

March 21, 2003

It Can't Rain All The Time

The title has turned into a soundtrack for the past 24 hours. It's a song by Jane Siberry. My mom passed away from a heart attack last night so Michael and I are flying back to my hometown of Scribner, Nebraska. It's certainly difficult being so far away. The funeral details are being taken care of today so we couldn't really help with that. But we plan to spend a week with my sisters and the extended family. So, that's that. The world is a curious place right now. Take care of the people you know and be kind to those you don't. It's pretty amazing what a little kindness can do and it rarely takes much effort.

Posted by Sooz at 02:45 PM | TrackBack

March 19, 2003

Al Gore Joins Apple's Board of Directors. And He's an Open Source Fan?

I think it's pretty cool that former Vice President Al Gore, Jr. has joined Apple's Board of Directors. But this quote in the press release amuses me for some reason. Most quotes in press releases are rarely written/spoken by the person being quoted. This one just seemed especially amusing. (Story found via Jeffrey Veen's website.)

"I have been particularly impressed with the new Mac OS X operating system and the company #146;s commitment to the open source movement."

March 18, 2003

Free Agent Lunch on Thursday at MANTRA Restaurant

The next free agent lunch is coming up this Thursday, March 20th at MANTRA Restaurant in downtown Boston. We usually meet at Bertucci's but this month we're going to check out MANTRA's new gourmet "express lunch." The event is a mix of networking, socializing plus good food. Afterwards I send out an email with participant's contact information so you can keep in touch. If you're working solo in the metro Boston area, take a look at the Free Agent Boston website and consider joining us if you'll be free from 11:30am-1:30pm on Thursday.

March 17, 2003

Help Send the Rock  amp; Roll Library to Memphis!

Rock  amp; Roll Library

I've been doing events, marketing and volunteer recruiting related (volunteer) work for the Rock  amp; Roll Library since January. They're a non-profit based in Boston working to build the world's largest music information archive while promoting the use of popular music in education. It's a very ambitious organization and they've already accomplished quite a lot including a national song lesson contest with Melissa Etheridge.

Early 2003 has been focused on finishing the business plan and expanding the sponsorship program. And right now the Rock   Roll Library needs your help to raise funds to attend the Music Museum Association's annual meeting March 28-30, 2003. The 3-day event is the gathering place for music museums and archives across the United States to share best practices and development ideas. Members of the association include the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame, The Grateful Dead Museum and the Experience Music Project.

So, if you're wondering how you can help, visit the Rock  amp; Roll Library's website and learn more about the event! You can become a charter member, make a donation and shop the new giftshop. While you're there, take a sneak peak at the Music Archive Database, a very ambitious project that is shaping up to be the definative source for music information on the Internet.

March 12, 2003

Spontaneous Conspiring or "Why I Still Love the Internet"

Yesterday I was giving Scott a hard time about his away message on IM that said "unconcious." He was spending lots of hours working on Feedster, his new RSS search engine project that took on a life of its own when the little prototype started getting bombarded with website visitors (aka Slashdotted, etc.) He pointed out the list of names that had been suggested. I thought something maybe a little less literal without the word RSS in the title might be interesting. In a matter of minutes, we came up with the name! Maybe a million dollar branding expert could come up with something better. Maybe not.

That spontaneous conspiring reminded me of why I love the Internet. Some of the best ideas come out of doing something for the fun of it and to simply prove that you can do it. The Internet really is a World of Ends.

Note: I'm not referencing the name directly since Scott doesn't seem to be doing so on his weblog just yet. But if you read his site you could figure it out all the same.

Update 3/13/03: He officially unveiled Feedster this morning. Check it out!

March 08, 2003

The Summer Road Trip Has a Website

The summer road trip that Michael and I are taking at the end of July has a website. We're using it to document our preperations and then it will be updated often throughout the trip. We don't have a cute or clever name for the trip since I figured "S   M Across 1/2 America" might not be the best idea.

March 07, 2003

A Consolation Prize (new job at Nokia, road trip planning!)

Unfortunately I won't be at the South by Southwest Interactive Festival this weekend but I did get a sort of consolation prize today when I heard back from the HR/Recruiting person at Nokia. I start a new 3-month contract job there on the 18th. It happened rather fast: they found my resume on monster.com last week, I had an interview three days later and an offer today. (Insert rejoicing tidbits here.) I'm really looking forward to it and it's a mere 10 minute drive away. I wonder if I'll have to hide my new Sanyo phone. I bought it before they called me about the job last week.

Michael and I have been conspiring about our two-week road trip across half of the United States: 23 states, 6 baseball games, Gnomedex and who knows what else. We'll have a little website up one of these days outlining the route and stuff we'd like to see and do along the way. The trip is tentatively scheduled for July 22nd through August 5th.

March 02, 2003

Toad the Wet Sprocket ... Reunited Bliss

Toad the Wet Sprocket

What's to say when your favorite band since your sophomore year in high school (1989) gets back together after breaking up four years ago? Last night Toad the Wet Sprocket performed at the Avalon Ballroom, and for lack of more eloquent words, it was simply amazing. They even played my favorite song that Glen Phillips (lead singer) said they had probably not played live in ten years. The song is "Always Changing Probably" off of their 1989 Bread and Circus album. Toad's music has been a life soundtrack for the past fourteen years. It was wonderful to see them perform again. And they really seemed to be enjoying it.

The other treat to the evening was finally seeing Bleu perform. He's a Berklee grad from Boston who has been receiving a lot of acclaim the past three years. After last night I'm definately a fan of his music. He's clever without being coy. His new song "You Know, I Know, You Know" is one of the most brilliantly written pop songs I've ever heard. Download Bleu's MP3s from his website and then buy the new "Redhead" CD recently released on Aware/Capitol Records.

March 01, 2003

Trek to Gnomedex

Chris Pirillo semi-announced that the next Gnomedex will be in Des Moines, IA the weekend of July 26th, his 30th birthday. A few friends and I are thinking of taking a big road trip from Boston so we can attend Gnomedex and also visit my family and friends in Nebraska (where I am from). It looks like we can start to plan now that there's a date. Ideally we'd like to become pals with a Dodge dealer who will hook us up with a Dodge Sprinter for a couple weeks. It's enormous and even comes in yellow. We could fit our computer gear and whatever else we dream up to bring along for the trip. Inspiration for our adventure comes from the guys who did the "Push" Boston-to-Comdex trip several years ago.

Indie rock and a 60s dance party?

Shannon suggested we go to the Milky Way in Jamaica Plain to see The Mittens and Palomar last night. Soltero was apparently added to the lineup at the last minute. It sounded like a fun plan to me. Unfortunately, Soltero didn't play. After the bands played we witnessed ten very long minutes (until we left) of some sort of 60s dance party. It certainly helped explain why so many women were in retro outfits. But after you've seen two really good indie bands, you really aren't expecting the floor in front of the stage to break out into lots of dancing to "These Boots Were Made for Walking" with a disco ball spinning above. We both agreed it was unfortunate that neither of us brought our camera.

Tonight Michael and I are seeing my favorite band at Avalon! Toad the Wet Sprocket is back together for a few shows. I've been experimenting with an audiolog so hopefully I can meet the band after the show and ask one of them to record something.

Warning: include(/home/susank/sooz.com/refer/refer.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/susank/sooz.com/archives/2003/03/index.php on line 510

Warning: include(): Failed opening '/home/susank/sooz.com/refer/refer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear') in /home/susank/sooz.com/archives/2003/03/index.php on line 510