« April 2003 | Main | June 2003 »

May 31, 2003

Cowboy Junkies at The Iron Horse

Cowboy Junkies setlist at the Iron Horse May 29 2003

To celebrate the 6th anniversary of the Michael+Sooz collaboration, we saw the Cowboy Junkies perform their second show of the night on Thursday. It was wonderful. We got into Northampton around 5:30 and spent the first few hours before the 9:30 show wandering around, checking out cool shops and of course there was the obligatory used book store shopping. I really like Northampton and wouldn't mind living there someday.

I've been a fan of the Cowboy Junkies for years but had never seen them live before. It was a real treat seeing them at such a small venue. We managed to get a table sitting with three strangers right up front. They performed a great mix of old and new tunes including the debut of several songs that might make it on their new album next year. After the show, Michael claimed Margo Timmon's setlist and we waited outside to see if she might sign it. While waiting outside we saw Steve who was standing in line in front of us before the show. He asked if I'd take a photo of him with Margo whenever we were able to get her attention. We waited for about ten minutes when Margo emerged from the bus with a large glass of red wine. A few oddballs talked her ear off for a while and then I managed to get her to sign the setlist. I mentioned that I wanted to take a photo of her with Steve and she was cool about it. And then something amusing happened. Steve thought he would also be taking a photo of me with Margo (Michael was conveniently standing several feet away and escaped the photo moment). I told him I didn't need the photo, no worries. But Margo insisted. It was a funny couple of seconds. I'm not sure how bad the photo turned out but if it's not completely awful I'll post it here once Steve sends it.

Check out the band's tour diary and read what Margo had to say about the Northampton shows.

May 27, 2003

Sondre Lerche comes to Boston

I've blathered on about Sondre Lerche before; but now it seems he's actually going to be in the Boston area (well, Cambridge) in a few weeks. This is excellent news for sure. When he makes his way to TT The Bear's in Central Square he'll be embarking on the second leg of his Spring/Summer tour around the United States. For the first set of shows in May he travelled around the U.S. and Canada with Nada Surf and then in June he keeps company with Ed Harcourt. Perhaps if I were a super cool music critic I might distill Sondre's pop gem greatness into a micronugget, inspiring the masses to buy his album. I think I'll probably settle for inspiring a few people to see him at TT's on the 18th.

May 21, 2003

Cary Pierce live at Club Passim and online tonight

It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it to Cary Pierce's solo show at Club Passim tonight in Harvard Square. But that's mostly OK because Club Passim is broadcasting the show online. Tune in at 8pm EST for a great show by a heartfelt and superb singer/songwriter.

May 17, 2003

Going wireless

P.K. wrote a helpful entry on his website about setting up a wireless ethernet bridge for his new Boston loft. I've been wanting to go wireless for a while and yesterday he also wrote that Panera Bread has Wi-Fi! The local Starbucks has it, too, but you have to be a T-Mobile customer which I hope to never be.

May 13, 2003

An 80s party sequel

Michael and I have been talking about throwing a sequel to the 80s costume party we hosted October 2001. The admission cost will probably be a contribution to the door prize/contest box o' stuff. Hello, eBay! For the last party we went a little nutty spending money on eBay buying all sorts of 80s related merchandise including a Menudo LP (yes, really), posters (Michael Jackson, INXS, The Cure), Garbage Pail Kid Stickers, Mr. T bobblehead doll, Pacman Glass, Wacky Packs and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. Halloween is on a Friday this year which is rather convenient. This time we'll focus more on the decorations. Especially if we have it at the American Legion in Arlington Center again. It was a great space with our own friendly Legion bartender; but the goofy paintings on the walls show up in all the photographs. Michael has proclaimed that he may not take requests this time since there was a lot of music he didn't get to play last time. He must have every 80s tune on MP3 by now after burning most of our CDs and finding a bunch online.

May 12, 2003

Peter Wolf at The Middle East

This is what rock and roll is all about. Most artists phone it in compared to Peter Wolf (J. Geils Band) who performed two cabaret-style shows Friday May 9 and Saturday May 10 at the Middle East Downstairs in Cambridge. I joined Anne for the Saturday show. 450 people filled the club with about twenty tables scattered towards the front of the stage. To say he has stage presence would be a great understatement. Each song started out with a rap of the upcoming song's lyrics then prancing across the stage and throughout the crowd as the band joined in. The primarly 40+ year old audience was eating him up. Not to mention the women crawling all over him as he danced in the crowd and on top of the bar. During one of his many storytelling moments, Peter thanked Joseph and Nabil Sater, owners of The Middle East. Mr. Wolf could have easily sold out a larger venue but chose one of the last Boston area independent music venues. If anyone can capture why music is so important, Peter Wolf has it figured out.

May 10, 2003

Rock & Roll Library needs a web team!

The Rock & Roll Library is looking for a team of people to take on the roles of (1) webmaster/project manager, (2) web editor/writers and (3) web developers. RRL is a very fun, worthwhile organization. They need help from talented people who can offer a few hours each week for a 3+ month committment. The web team works directly with Anne Fitzpatrick, the executive director. She's a great person to work with and has a lot of passion and dedication for the Rock & Roll Library. To learn more about the opportunities, visit RRL's profile page at VolunteerMatch. Another way you can help is to share this information with your friends and colleagues. The web positions prefer people in the Boston area but there are other positions that are virtual, too. I think the web team positions would be a great match with a web design/development agency who would like to give back to the web through a donation of its employees time.

In other Rock & Roll Library news, they've moved into temporary office space donated by Arlington Regent Theater and have a national public relations firm, Blanc & Otus!

May 07, 2003

Iceland Airwaves 2003

Maybe this could be the year to finally make it to Iceland Airwaves? Reasonable airfares plus a cool place to visit and music! Festivities are schedule for October 15-19, 2003 in Reykjavik.

Cowboy Junkies

I've been a fan of the Cowboy Junkies off-and-on for years; but I've never had a chance to see them live. Fortunately that changes soon when Michael and I see them at their second show of the night at the Iron Horse in Northampton on May 29th. It seemed like a fun way to celebrate year number six of the Michael and Sooz collaboration. (Six years? Six years! I've only been in Boston for nine so six years sure seems like a long time as far as relationships go.) I'm really looking forward to this show. It makes up for the fact that I forgot to try to get tickets for Beck's "warmup show" at the Iron Horse which probably sold out in 30 seconds anyway. The Iron Horse is a great little club with a down-to-earth vibe.

May 04, 2003

Free agent lunch on the 15th

I host an event called free agent lunch mostly monthly. The next gathering is coming up on Thursday, May 15th at Bertucci's Restaurant in Cambridge adjacent to the Alewife T station on the red line. Want to join us?

May 02, 2003

250 cattle poisoned in Nebraska

The other day Michael showed me a CNN article with the above title, 250 cattle poisoned in Nebraska. Anytime Nebraska comes up on the news, in a newspaper, etc. he points it out to me. Since I grew up there perhaps there is a chance I know every Nebraskan mentioned in the news, right? (It's not that small!) He mentioned that this incident took place in Richland, a town in Nebraska I had never heard of. Yesterday I got an email from my youngest sister Amy. The cattle belonged to her boss and he asked Amy to help put together a campaign to lobby the government to have tougher restrictions on the pesticides that the cattle were poisoned with. Apparently a website is in the works which I'll link to whenever it is published. She wanted to know if I have any contacts with environmental organizations who might be interested in their campaign/efforts. Unfortunately I haven't been all that plugged into environmental causes since college.