« October 2003 | Main | December 2003 »

November 29, 2003

Listen Up: now playing tidbits and music recommendations on the left

I set up a little sideblog over there on the left for music recommendations and other now playing tidbits. You can subscribe via RSS, too.

Independents Day Rebirth: Project 1210

Independents Day Project 1210

Independents Day, a project I helped incubate in 2001, has launched the ID3 rebirth by way of its curators Carole Guevin and Jean-François Simard.

Wednesday, December 10 is International Day of Human Rights a day set aside to increase awareness about human rights abuses around the world and the 57th Anniversary of United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Our objective is to gather and lend an independent voice to commemorate the International Day of Human Rights. You are invited to join us through your own voice on the web.

November 28, 2003

What she said

Lisa Williams: "I think it's wonderful when people are able to change their minds about each other and not be constrained by history, but to take a bigger, more expansive view, one with more possibilities; one with a future. Forgiveness is a wonderful trait to have; it makes all things new."

November 27, 2003

Mad About Digits

A while ago I started to read a book about math, which is funny since I was never all that great in math classes growing up. My short attention span always kicked in. But this book is so great. And one day I might even finish it. "The Parrot's Theorem", a novel by Denis Guedj, tells the story of a Parisian bookstore owner and his blind parrot who befriend the shop owner's assistant and her young children. Along the way the book provides a short history of mathematics mixed within a great story. Jason Goldman linked to a page at Mathworld that is equally entertaining: a page on special numbers and number theory. A few of my favorites include the Unhappy Number, Narcissistic Number and the Almost Perfect Number.

November 26, 2003

Today's Soundtrack : There Comes a Time

There Comes a Time - Glen Phillips

There comes a time in life
To pull on your coat and go outside
To taste the vinegar of life, bitter life
Taste a second time, and it's a sweet surprise
Sweet surprise

It's not that hard to figure it out
When there's no question, there's no doubt
Burned in efigy, senseless time
Dispute the miracle, but the water still was wine
And that's my crime

There is a face in the stone
We let it out to find its form
To shape the testament of will, strongest will
Pride, humility a bitter pill
Bitter pill

Sweet surrender, oh my Lord
I never thought I'd see
It's not surprising, still I find
I'm shaking, crying
But I'm laughing, softly

There comes a time
To pull on your coat and go outside

Rose Polenzani and Felix McTeigue at The Lizard Lounge

Last night Rose Polenzani wrapped up a successful Tuesday residency throughout November at the Lizard Lounge. She hasn't performed with a full band in a long time so it was great to see two of her shows in one month with other bandmates joining in the fun. "The Flood" and "Orange Crush" were highlights -- two songs that really come to life with a full band. Felix McTeigue started the evening off with a short set of tunes. Rose joined him on Magician's Assistant and then later on she was joined by former Boston music guy now based in D.C., Josh Cole, for his song "Love is a Comma."

I took a few photos but kept the flash off so they are very blurry. Click on each image to see a larger photograph.

November 25, 2003

This is how you write a bio

I think I've been inspired to rewrite my "about me" page. So should everyone else for that matter.

November 24, 2003

Mmmmm remix

Jump in it's only fire;
The pilot's set to broil, my nimble cook!
It's useless, flying kites
It only works if the wind is right
And I've got a question for my dragonfly
How to navigate through a perilous tide
Without a safe or sound device
Save only I?
Save only I? -- "Dragonfly", Universal Hall Pass

Symbion Project put together an excellent remix of Universal Hall Pass's "Dragonfly." Download the mp3 and savor it for yourself. Kasson, the mastermind behind Symbion Project and Melissa of Universal Hall Pass were band mates in Splashdown before they were consumed and spit out by a record label moments before Splashdown's major label debut was supposed to be released. Maybe the other guy in the band will get back to making music again sometime, too. We can always hope.

November 22, 2003

Osushi!

sarah_nicholas.jpg laura_michael.jpg

Osushi Restaurant inside the Westin Copley Hotel turned out to be an excellent spot for last night's sixth annual sushi fest. Unfortunately they've let their domain name expire so there's no website to point to. Hopefully they will get that fixed soon. Gregor will post some photos soon and I need to scan our special menu, too. Good times!

sarah_susan.jpg john_scott_david.jpg

November 18, 2003

Glen Phillips' Concert MP3s

For all the things I hid away
And all the words I could not say
The dam would break. -- "Dam Would Break", Toad the Wet Sprocket

I missed Glen Phillips solo show last week at the Middle East but he has several fans from his Toad the Wet Sprocket days who always tape the shows so all is not entirely lost. Chris Berryman has been at several of the concerts and has mp3 and shn files available for download at ComebackDownload.com. Glen doesn't mind taping as long as it's not directly from the sound board. But these recordings are still fabulous.

I don't think they stay online forever so here are a few of my favorites (mostly old Toad the Wet Sprocket songs) from Glen's November 15th show at Messiah College in Grantham, PA on November 15th:

November 14, 2003

Language as Art

I'm such a sucker for a well crafted collection of words. Gregor's pal Tobias wrote an excellent entry recently that makes it impossible to know his native language isn't even English. And the same is true for Sondre Lerche's latest journal entry on his website. Speaking of my favorite singer/songwriter from Norway, Mr. Lerche is in Cambridge tonight at TT The Bear's Place to kick-off his U.S. headlining tour. I've noticed the show has received lots of press this week so he'll probably have a full house. Festivities start at 9:30pm with local rocker Thalia Zedek and Chicago songstress Rachel Yamagata.

November 12, 2003

Rock & Roll Library has a new weblog

I set up the Rock & Roll Library weblog a few days ago at TypePad. I'm searching for artist/musician/band websites so if you have any suggestions, let me know. Contributions are welcome, too!

Rose Polenzani and the Importance of Music

Sometimes I wish I were more skilled at describing why music is so important to me. And then I find myself in a room like tonight, seeing Rose Polenzani. It was the first time I've seen her joined by a full band in two years. She had everyone downstairs at The Lizard Lounge wrapped around her finger by way of her songs. And that voice. And did I mention a full band? It was magical! Fortunately for those who missed it, she'll be at the Lizard Lounge in Cambridge for two more Tuesdays in November.

November 06, 2003

Rock & Roll Library Benefit Concerts Nov 19th and December 1st

Rock & Roll Library

The Rock & Roll Library has a couple benefit concerts coming up to fundraise for its projects and programs including the music archive database. The database is a project to create an extensive, unbiased online repository for all things rock and roll. The first concert is Wednesday, November 19th at Harper's Ferry in Allston at 8:30pm with The Medea Connection, The Anti-Love Project, Grubstake, The Goodbyes, and Damian David. Tickets cost $8 and it's a 21+ show. The second concert is on Monday, December 1st upstairs at Charlie's Kitchen in Harvard Square with Suspect Device, Stray Bullets and Rock City Crimewave. Tickets are $6 and the show starts at 9:30pm.

See you there?

November 05, 2003

Prominent Omahan?

Wandering around my referrer logs I found a link here from Frozen Rothko Sky. He (?) linked to one of my photos of the Antiquarian bookstore in Omaha's Old Market. Which is one of my favorite spots on the planet. (Nevermind how much of the planet I have not actually seen.) He mentioned that he was listening to the CD of a prominent Omahan. Inquiring minds want to know who that is but there's no contact info or email address on his website.

Sidetalkin'

Sometimes it is good to be easily amused and entirely behind the curve on meme adoption.

November 03, 2003

Photographic Evidence of Good Times in New York City

Josh took these photos of Gregor, Susan and I during our recent adventure in New York City a couple weeks ago. If he'd put his website back up he could post them himself! There was a photo shoot going on at Florent at the window behind us which provided an amusing background for photo #2. Click on each image to see a slightly larger photograph.

Overheard in Harvard Square

I stopped by Toscanini's earlier for a hot vanilla (one of few tasty hot beverages) and overheard an interaction that was a mix of disturbing and funny. A twentysomething woman and her mother were not pleased with the service so they decided to let the guy behind the counter know by making passive aggressive comments. And they went on and on. And on. It inspired a few very amusing reactions and bonding moments among the other customers. One guy put a few dollars in the tip jar and said: "I'll give you three bucks for being rude to those people." I tried to remain an innocent bystander but it was a difficult task. While putting a lid on my beverage a young woman started talking to me about what happened and we agreed it was very weird and uncomfortable. But I'm almost grateful for the people being such idiots, it gave the rest of us an opportunity to talk and share a few laughs.