« March 2004 | Main | May 2004 »

April 30, 2004

Something to Say

you can bend my ear / we can talk all day / just make sure that i'm near / when you've really got something to say. - "Something to Say" by Toad the Wet Sprocket

This entry is in honor of my mom, Mary Kay Kaup. She passed away March 2003. Her 58th birthday would have been today.

After posting that entirely unoriginal audio post the other day I figured I better come up with something to say today so it has a better chance of drifting off the page sometime soon. There is a lot of interesting things going on this weekend around Boston but I'll be working throughout most of it. Tonight's plan, however, is to meet up with a friend or two for dinner at ZuZu (home of the tasty Sour Mash Smash and middle eastern-themed "Pu Pu Platter" - yum!) and then check out the So & So's concert downstairs at the Middle East next door. The Boston Independent Film Festival is also in town at The Coolidge, Brattle and Somerville Theaters. Over 600 artists in Somerville open up their studios on Saturday and Sunday for the Somerville Open Studios weekend. I hope to wander around with a friend on Sunday.

April 28, 2004

audio tidbit

Powered by audblogaudio post powered by audblog

April 27, 2004

The 8-track web

There are plenty of websites devoted to someone's cat, oddly documented yet uneventful life, moist towellete collection, etc. But how many websites are devoted to 8-tracks? Hilary has a massive 8-track tape collection and she chronicles her eBay purchases and 8-track adventures on her weblog. Hopefully VH-1 will have the sense to put her on their new "Totally Obsessed" show about people with curious obsessions. One of these days maybe I'll get to see her 8-track museum: a room in her apartment entirely covered wall-to-wall with 8-tracks. Check her April 27th entry (I'd link to it but her archives aren't working) on her website to learn about her plans to get married on May 17th when gay marriage becomes legal in the state of Massachusetts. The photo is one I took of Hilary and her girlfriend Cathy at a Harvard Bookstore holiday party a few years ago.

April 26, 2004

Note to self: don't send late night emails

I just sent out an email to a bunch of people ... intended the little list I created to be bcc'd. Alas, it went out as a regular email with everyone's email address showing. Oops! That's what I get for sending out an email well past my bedtime.

My first 10 years in Boston are coming up. If you're in the area, join us for dinner and then Sondre Lerche's concert on May 12th at 7pm. There's an evite page if you want to RSVP!

This "note to self" is also similiar to another bit of advice: don't make phone calls after spending three hours at Sligo with Shannon (and pals) at her going away party. It's too bad cell phones can't detect alcohol consumption and shut themselves off accordingly. ;)

April 22, 2004

The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair

"I can see Good-by coming." It's not a perfect story, but it's a good story anyway.

April 19, 2004

Oops

I forgot to renew capricious.org in a timely manner so it's going to be down for a day or two. If you are wondering what happened to my BloggerCon photos, they will return when things are back to normal.

April 17, 2004

Photos from BloggerCon II

Here are a few photos I took earlier at BloggerCon II. Ah, wifi!

Photos from BloggerCon dinner party at Durgin Park

I took a few photos at tonight's BloggerCon dinner party at Durgin Park that I put together. There were 70ish people there. The Durgin Park staff was outstanding and very accomodating for the group as people wandered in. The full photo gallery is over at capricious.org. Captions coming sooner or later. It's way past my bedtime thanks to the early morning kickoff of BloggerCon II that is just around the corner.

April 13, 2004

Dim Sum on Sunday with Jessica Baumgart and other bloggers

Jessica Baumgart is organizing a Dim Sum brunch this coming Sunday, April 18th. It's open to BloggerCon attendees and anyone else who wants to show up. The destination is Chau Chow City, 83 Essex Street in Chinatown, Boston (map, review). The group is meeting at 11am to make sure enough tables can be grabbed. For more information and to let Jessica know you'll be there, visit her website with additional tidbits. See you there?

Sometimes you just have to laugh

I love the gapingvoid cartoons. I think we all have at least one person in our lives who reminds us of this one.

April 11, 2004

A Swiss weblogger tradition continues

If it happens twice does that make it a tradition? Sure, why not. At the first BloggerCon last Fall, Gregor Rothfuss was in attendance from Switzerland. So, it seemed appropriate that a representative from his homeland would be in Boston this week for BloggerCon II. Bernhard Seefeld put up with my Cambridge tour guide/wanderings today. He runs search.ch, "The Swiss Search Engine" and is always on the lookout for a salsa dancing event. I managed to navigate him to the April On 2 event at Ryles in Inman Square tonight only after walking in the wrong direction for about 10 minutes down Hampshire Street.

The Patron Saints of Graphic Design

Of all the Patron Saints of Graphic Design, I think I probably look to Saint Typo, the Patron of Spell Checking and Google Searches, the most. [via barkingmoose: daily leftovers]

April 10, 2004

Better living through RSS options

I added an additional RSS feed for geek pals who requested that full entries of sooz.com be available in their newsreaders. So, if you want to read everything I've said in a particular entry, add the index.xml feed to your reader. If you want the introductory snippet, add excerpts.xml to your reader. There are a couple buttons over on the left. "Listen Up!" my music recommendations sideblog over on the right has its own feed with full entries, too.

Nokia's new 6225 camera phone for Sprint

Nokia finally has a new camera phone that works with my SprintPCS service. The Nokia 6225 is supposed to be out any day. I'd been thinking of switching carriers since my contract is up this week but I think I'll stay put thanks to this new phone. My service works great but I really wanted a camera with a phone. I can't get a decent deal on the phone until August when I can trade in my Sanyo 4900.

April 09, 2004

Someone else's travels

Michael is on a 7+ day road trip around the east coast and has been documenting it on his website at BunkoSquad.com. His latest installment last night talks about Pittsburgh and baseball.

April 04, 2004

Dewey Beach Popfest April 23-24 in Delaware

When I was checking in on The So & So's website they had a link to their upcoming performance at the Dewey Beach Popfest in Delaware. It's free, two nights, seven stages and 60 bands from around the country. So far I recognize two bands: The So & So's and Mappari.

Road trip?

April 03, 2004

The results of hibernation : new tunes on Exploit Boston! Radio

I've been hibernating indoors the past few days thanks to this really awful cold that insists on lingering a little while longer. Several excellent CDs arrived in the mail today thanks to Ed V. at Q Division so I updated Exploit Boston! Radio with tunes from Boston bands including Gigolo Aunts, Brett Rosenberg and Senor Happy's new album "I'm Sorry" that comes out on April 13th. To listen to the stream you need a fairly speedy Cable/DSL/T1 Internet connection and a free Live 365 listener account. To see what's playing on the radio stream at this very moment, click on this link for the now playing console. At the moment while typing this, it's "Like Being Alone" by Meghan Toohey's band The So & So's.

April 01, 2004

March for Web Standards

Were you there?

Warning: include(/home/susank/sooz.com/refer/refer.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/susank/sooz.com/archives/2004/04/index.php on line 669

Warning: include(): Failed opening '/home/susank/sooz.com/refer/refer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear') in /home/susank/sooz.com/archives/2004/04/index.php on line 669