« April 2004 | Main | June 2004 »

May 28, 2004

New niece, new home, new computer

Lots of new! My sister Amy's baby arrived last night. My new (first!) niece is reported to be fabulous with lots of black hair, blue eyes and a smaller version of my sister's (small) nose. Can't wait to see the photos and get back to Nebraska sometime soon. On Monday I'm moving to Ball Square in Somerville. It will be so very nice to be within walking distance of Davis Square. True Grounds opened up a few months ago in my new neighborhood and they've got free wifi, too! On Sunday I'm buying a new computer. Zippy, my trusty Dell notebook has served me well for almost four years. The case itself has been a disaster. It cracked near the mousepad area and on/near the hinges for the cover/monitor at least once a year. This last time it was out of warranty and the cracks ended up breaking the hinges off the monitor. A notebook computer that you can't put in your bag and take with you doesn't make for much of a portable computer. So, I'm visiting the Apple store in Cambridge on Sunday and picking up an iBook. It'll be the first time I've owned a Macintosh computer since I worked at Apple in 1998.

May 24, 2004

A musicial month in May

Work has kept me from doing much updating on sooz.com and my other websites and projects. But I did manage to see three incredible concerts this month. First up was Sondre Lerche and band at the Paradise Rock Club in Boston. It's my favorite spot to see live music in town and it was delightful to see Sondre perform with a full band for the first time in Boston. He brought his Faces Down band with him from Norway. They were smiling, laughing and dare I say having just as much fun as the audience. And then a few days later I saw Lloyd Cole at a tiny show at the Paradise Lounge next door to the rock club. He was finishing up a bunch of shows around Europe and the U.S.'s East Coast. Those of us in the room were a little confused that we seemed to be having an almost private performance considering the size of the place. Lloyd performed a long acoustic set of new tunes off of his Music in a Foreign Language album plus many old ones including my favorites "Never Look Back" and "Undressed." Last night I saw The Magnetic Fields at the Berklee Performance Center. This is a band that for some reason, I really never knew much about until recently. My pal Mike is their sound guy when they go on tour and got me a ticket. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect but it always seems like he and I have similiar taste in music (he also did sound for two of my favorite bands Splashdown and Mistle Thrush) so I figured it would be good. Of course I had no idea just how good it would be. Josh and Jesse were in town from NYC and had gone to the three previous shows - two in NYC, and then the two Boston shows. We hung around on stage afterwards as things were being packed up and met some of the band.

I'm going to be in New York City on Friday, June 4th to see Rose Polenzani and her band perform at the Living Room at 154 Ludlow Street (between Stanton and Livington). They go on at 10pm if you happen to be in the area or want to join me for a late-afternoon bus trip from Boston.

Good times.

May 10, 2004

Getting organized

I put up a basic little page over at www.susankaupevents.com for my freelance event planning work. I'll have a web design pal fix it up sometime this summer. I couldn't design my way out of a paperbag. But it's up and it works! The plan is to get back to freelancing during the day (plus keep a part-time/steady job) beginning in July. Goodbye temping! I thought about going back to corporate/fulltime work but in the end, I know that's not the best place for me. So, a few more months of what I've been doing the past two years and I think I'll finally be at a point where I can do what I really should be doing. What a treat that will be.

May 07, 2004

Granny D: toward a new democracy

94 year-old New Hampshire resident Doris "Granny D" Haddock has been traveling around the U.S. since October 2003 to register new voters and raise awareness for the November presidential election. A tidbit from today's email dispatch:

"I am on a long journey to take a good, long last look at my beautiful country and to encourage as many people as I can to take up the ballot and to brighten up the colors in our fast fading democracy. It has been a long journey for me. While I enjoy making so many new friends along the way, I would rather be back in my home in New Hampshire and walking for leisure instead of in desperate search for a few more good Americans to do the right and necessary thing.

I am tired but I have a ways to go. My life has been long and grand, and I am about done with it, but I am determined to not say goodbye to all of this until I can go to my rest in the soil of a good democracy.

No political party or candidate or government can do it for us. It is our democracy, but we must live it if we are to have it."

May 04, 2004

Peonies!

Peonies (my favorite flower) will be in season soon. These look spectacular. Much like the peonies I bought from Flowerbud a few years ago.

May 01, 2004

One of those days?

Today was one of those days. No, not one of those days; but one of those days. Good times, new work, adventure, and a fabulous sunset in Lincoln, MA.

Warning: include(/home/susank/sooz.com/refer/refer.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/susank/sooz.com/archives/2004/05/index.php on line 274

Warning: include(): Failed opening '/home/susank/sooz.com/refer/refer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear') in /home/susank/sooz.com/archives/2004/05/index.php on line 274