« June 2004 | Main | August 2004 »

July 29, 2004

The Ocean Blue at TT The Bear's Place!

The Ocean Blue, one of my favorite poptastic bands during college (1991-1994) has somehow managed to linger on over the years. They're going to be in Cambridge at TT The Bear's on Thursday, September 16th. Fabulous!

DCCC and SpeakerPelosi.com's Blogger Bash

Speaker Pelosi.com and the DCCC hosted a gathering called Blogger Bash 2004 at Meze Estiatorio in Charlestown late Wednesday night. I met a bunch of interesting people, saw a few familiar faces and took a handful of photos throughout the evening. Joe Trippi made a very brief "appearance" about 1.5 hours into the event. Janeane Garofalo came in towards the end of the shindig. The highlight of the evening was meeting Granny D. She's a 94-year old political activist who is running for U.S. Senate in New Hampshire. A very inspiring woman. I talked to David Sifry of Technorati and he shared tales of his adventure covering the convention for CNN. His mantra this week is "Remember, it's just television. Don't take it too seriously."

All the credentialed bloggers received special "goody bags." I forgot to ask Michael Feldman what was in it before he left.

More photos from the evening are over in the photo album.

July 28, 2004

The Howard Dean Volunteer Reunion in Boston

1.jpg gabe_sooz_deansocial_28july2004.jpg

Howard Dean and a couple hundred of the old Massachusetts for Dean volunteers plus other supporters from his campaign days who were in town for the convention got together today at Hurricane O'Reilly's near the Fleet Center. It was the first time in a long time that I've seen all the people I used to volunteer with on his campaign. Gabe (pictured with me in the second photo) agreed that it was sort of like a high school reunion. Dean gave a good talk and spoke about the importance of people running for office, not just voting.

The rest of the gathering's photos are in my photo gallery at capricious.org

July 26, 2004

Join Us! Free Shakespeare On the Common performance of Much Ado About Nothing on Sunday, August 1st @ 7pm

Last year I got a group of us together to see the Free Shakespeare on the Common performance of Macbeth. It was a lot of fun, so we're doing it again this year for the final performance of Much Ado About Nothing on Sunday, August 1st at 7pm. We'll meet at 6:30pm near the big water fountain in the Boston Common, a very short walk from the Park Street T Station.

Want to join us? Add a comment here or a trackback ping. Or send me an email. Everyone sits on the grass so bring a blanket and snacks/beverages, too.

“Much Ado About Nothing is one of Shakespeare’s greatest comedies, it’s a full-blooded, passionate world and one that seemed particularly seductive. We are ready to move this year from the belligerence of Macbeth, last summer’s production, to a world where everyone loves everyone,” says CSC Artistic Director Steven Maler.

July 25, 2004

DNC Mania

I set up a new category called 2004 Democratic Convention for whatever I write this week regarding the Democratic National Convention that's in town. It's also the same week I start a new project at MIT. I'm hoping to move my schedule around so that I can see a screening of Fahrenheit 9/11 at the Coolidge Corner Theater in Brookline on Tuesday at noon. Apparently Michael Moore will be there, too. I RSVP'd a few days ago but it looks like they aren't taking them anymore.

July 24, 2004

Go see The Flying Karamazov Brothers at the American Reperatory Theater in Cambridge (through August 8th)!

The Flying Karamazov Brothers in Life: A Guide for the Perplexed

When a friend suggested we see The Flying Karamazov Brothers at the American Reperatory Theater Thursday night in Harvard Square, the first thing that came to mind was not a whole lot of excitement. Flying? Brothers? Huh? Oh! Those goofy juggling people? Hmm. Curious. The description of the event on the A.R.T. website looked interesting and the company was good. So why not? The title of the show is "Life: A Guide For the Perplexed." It turned out to be outstanding, amazing, wonderful and numerous other assorted adjectives. They managed to combine liberal-infused politics with humor, lessons on life, some music and oh, yeah ... juggling. We were in the front row and at one point during the show, I got a smooch on the cheek from Alexei. (Who, I might add, is much cuter in person than the photo on that page might suggest). They're at A.R.T. through August 8th. Go, go, go. Seriously. It's good stuff.

July 23, 2004

Feedster, an RSS Search Engine

Feedster, that little website I helped name last year, has been updated with new newness. They've got a "claim your feed" feature and apparently you need to blog a link for it to work. So, that's what I'm doing.

July 22, 2004

Last night's blog gathering

A bunch of people showed up for last night's Boston Blog Meetup. Quite a few of us had attended the blog meetup in the past and the general consensus seemed to be that nobody else had ever showed up. So it was great to see it come together last night. We had a big room at Marche Movenpick surrounded by glass on all sides overlooking Boylston Street. The free wifi seemed to be working for everyone. Food options are numerous but the quality varies, too. I think if we meet there again we should probably stick to dessert and beverages. I'm on the lookout for other spots in the Boston area (easily T accessible) that can accomodate a group of 25-30 for a social gathering. Wifi would be preferred. Suggestions welcome!

Photographs from Baghdad

Paul Taggart, an aquintance of mine, is on assignment in Iraq as a photographer. He's got a blog to document his stories and photographs.

July 20, 2004

Hooked on Rufus

The lyrics to this song are excellent. But hearing the tune is essential. I'm a bit of a latecomer to Rufus Wainwright's music, finally catching up with him this year after his third album WANT one came out September 2003. D-e-l-i-g-h-t-f-u-l.

"Movies of Myself" - Rufus Wainwright (WANT one - 2003)

Stop me falling down, stop me making movies of myself
Put that old dog down, stop me making movies of myself
Bring the carriage 'round, get me to the garden of sleep
Make that high gate speak, Perrier out of a paper bag
Looking like a hag
And start giving me something
A love that is longer than a day
Start making my heart sing something that it doesn't want to say
I'm handing it over, I'm saying that you're the only one
Don't run for the border, turn that corner
Already you've run in movies of myself
Darling don't you ever let go
Wrap your loving arms around me
While the cold winds blow
Tell me what I really want to know
Cause I'm looking for a reason, a person, a painting
A Saturday Evening Post Edition by Jesus
An old piece of bacon never eaten by Elvis
So I'll say start giving me something
A love that is longer then a day
Start making my heart say something it doesn't want to say
I'm handing it over, I'm singing that you're the only one
Don't run for the border, turn that corner
In movies on myself
Oh I've seen it all before in movies of myself

Blogs Blogging the Blogging of the Democratic National Convention in Boston

Adam Gaffin set up a convention-related page to keep tabs on who is blogging what about the Democratic National Convention happenings in Boston next week. Dave Winer unveiled a new site at Convention Bloggers.com for both DNC credentialed and non-credentialed bloggers alike. The event itself has a blog, too. The best part about bloggers being accepted into the fray is that Michael Feldman will be there as a credentialed blogger. His site will be an essential visit for anyone wanting a more curious (with a pulse) view of the convention.

July 15, 2004

Time to RSVP for the Boston Blog Meetup

We managed to get lots more than the minimum three venue votes needed for the Boston Blog Meetup. Anything less than that and Meetup.com cancels the gathering. Twenty-three people voted. So, now it's time to RSVP. If you'd like to join us, you can RSVP at http://blog.meetup.com. If you'd rather not sign-up at Meetup.com, add a trackback ping or comment on the info about the shindig at Boston Blogs.com.

July 14, 2004

Bunkosquad gets the scoop about Boston's pre-DNC plan

BunkoSquad has learned: Unconfirmed sources are reporting that, as part of pre-Democratic Convention security, local and federal officials are discussing the option of just rounding up everyone in Boston and surrounding cities and shooting them.

July 13, 2004

Don't steal that!

In the latest issue of A List Apart, Thomas Scott describes a nifty tip to keep people from using images hosted on your web server on their own pages. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks interesting.

Favorites of the Moment, Part I

The previous sooz.com design had a page for some of my favorite websites. This category is for whatever websites seem interesting at that particular moment.

Color Scheme: Not sure about what colors to choose for your website or living room walls? This is a nifty helper. Speaking of walls, I think I'm going to paint my room a combo of something close to #FFF280 and #FF9BF.

Boston Common: I don't really know where Adam finds enough time in the day to keep tabs on weblogs around Boston. He's our local, human aggregator for the local Boston weblog world.

Rose Polenzani: Anyone who has known me for more than an hour has probably heard me ramble on about Rose's music. Her albums are good and her live performances are spectacular.

July 12, 2004

Is there a fellow Nebraskan working at The Boston Globe?

Michael alerted me to a couple Nebraska-related articles that are on The Boston Globe's website. It seems like they spotlight Nebraska articles more often than I would expect. Is there a fellow Nebraskan working at The Boston Globe? I have fond memories of the Nebraska State Fair. I hope they can work things out.

Nebraska state fair loses money, visitors: The Nebraska State Fair -- a nearly 136-year-old tradition in the heart of America's agricultural heartland -- is in trouble. It has been losing money and visitors, and its future may hinge on a Nov. 2 vote on whether to use $2 million a year in state lottery proceeds to repair buildings and make other improvements to the fairgrounds.

Man wins buffalo chip toss with 108-footer: Ed Sydow threw a dried buffalo dropping 108 feet, nine inches Saturday to be named winner of the World Championship Buffalo Chip Toss.

The website makeover(s)

I upgraded to Movable Type's latest 3.0D a couple weeks ago and I'm working my way through all my websites to get them updated and back in action. So far I've got Free Agent Boston and Boston Blogs mostly finished up (there is always room for more tinkering) and now I'm working on sooz.com. I'm not sure how much of the old design I'm going to bring back. To be determined! And then once this site is in a better state of mind, it's on to my oh-so-neglected child named Exploit Boston! and then the site for my event planning biz. I was going to apply to blog at the DNC if I managed to get EB! back in action before their deadline. But that didn't quite happen. Things are moving forward nonetheless.

July 11, 2004

About Sooz

The nickname "Sooz" was given to me by a friend in 1997. I've been online since 1993 and made a few attempts to put a personal website together but nothing really stuck until sooz.com came along in 2001.

I grew up in Nebraska and moved to Boston May 1994. If you ever need to pack your life in three pieces of luggage and need advice on how to do it, let me know! I wanted to live in New England since about the age of 12 though I never actually visited until I was 20 during a spring break trip with a college pal.

I've been hosting social events and gatherings in the Boston area since around 1997 and I also provide event marketing services to clients. If you've got a business or personal event coming up, perhaps I can help! I send out an email newsletter every few weeks listing interesting events and happenings in the Boston area and invites to gatherings I'm hosting. Once or twice a year since 1998 I've hosted a sushi dinner party. Photos from past gatherings are in the photo album. Sometime soon I'll be setting up a website for my event marketing services at www.susankaupevents.com.

Current Projects

:: Exploit Boston! is a new project featuring interesting art, culture and entertainment events in the greater Boston area. My role: publisher. Officially launching sometime, someday. But probably sooner or later.
:: Free Agent Boston hosts social, educational and networking events for free agents, consultants and freelancers in the greater Boston area. It started out as a small lunch for freelancers December 1999 and has grown a lot since then. My role: host.
:: Boston Blogs has hosted events for web writers in Boston off and on since 2002.

Event Newsletter

I host events in Boston and sometimes in other locations where I happen to be. Join one of my event mailing lists at WhizSpark if you'd like to receive updates on social and networking events that I'm hosting in the Boston area. Since 1998 I've hosted an annual sushi party.

July 10, 2004

The Big Walk from Boston to Somerville

Sometimes I forget that Boston is such a walkable city. Yesterday after finishing up some work around 5:00 near the Boston Common area in downtown Boston, I decided to walk home to Ball Square/Somerville. It took a little over two hours. I suppose if I had better walking shoes and was a speedier walker it might have been a bit less than that. It was a great walk and various spots along the way broke it up into reasonable chunks. My first destination was Charles Street in Beacon Hill where I did a leasurely stroll and some window shopping. Next up was the Longfellow Bridge heading into Cambridge. I walked through Kendall Square and then down Hampshire Street to Porter Square. Then up Willow to my apartment in Ball Square. I'd like to do this a lot more this summer to/from other locations in the greater Boston area. And if I have to work in Boston during the DNC happenings, I can always walk part of the way.

July 04, 2004

Do you believe?

{fray} has a special Fourth of July story today by Jon Pnim.

July Fourth brings many revelations. For some, it's all about beer and hot dogs. For others, it's a reminder of the ideals of America. For Jon Pnim, it's two days after he met a woman in the E.R. who left him shaking.

July 02, 2004

Boston Weblogger Meetup -- The Revival

The Boston area Blog Meetup is coming up on Wednesday, July 21st at 7pm. We're going to try and revive it since it's never really taken off in the Boston area. Marche Movenpick in the Prudential Center has free wifi and is an all around excellent location for group events. They have an ala carte setup so it's easy to spend a lot of money or not much at all. Meetup.com determines the schedule for all the various interest groups that they host and has deemed 7pm on the third Wednesday of every month as International Weblog Meetup Day. Mark your calendars!

Warning: include(/home/susank/sooz.com/refer/refer.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/susank/sooz.com/archives/2004/07/index.php on line 876

Warning: include(): Failed opening '/home/susank/sooz.com/refer/refer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear') in /home/susank/sooz.com/archives/2004/07/index.php on line 876