« September 2004 | Main | November 2004 »

October 31, 2004

Red Sox parade photos are nice but don't forget to vote for John Kerry on Tuesday

votejohnkerry.gif

My little entry about the Red Sox parade photos I took at their victory parade the other day are getting lots of clicky clicks thanks to Google. Well, that's nice and all. But also don't forget to vote for John Kerry on Tuesday.

So ... please, please, please vote on Tuesday.

I'm baffled when I run into people who are undecided or are definitely voting for Bush. I had no idea I knew any billionaires. Who else would be voting for him?

Never Forget: The Internets Vets for Truth

The Internets Veterans For Truth are a few long-time bloggers, designers, and techies who decided (in slackerly fashion, around the end of last week) that some of the clips that've been floating around online needed to be seen by everybody.

October 30, 2004

The Red Sox Parade

Red Sox fans waiting for the duck boats filled with Red Sox players

Michael, Yves, Amy and I met up at the Central Square Starbucks at 8:15 this morning and wandered up Mass Ave to find a spot on Boylston Street for the Red Sox Parade/Rolling Rally. I took a bunch of photos with Michael's camera which he's uploaded as a Red Sox parade photo set at flickr. I was skeptical at first that they were doing a parade instead of a rally. But it worked out very well. I probably wouldn't have gotten many (if any) great photos had they not stopped right in front of us.

October 25, 2004

Feedster-inspired dinner in Cambridge at Bombay Club

Scott Johnson was back in town so he invited people on the Berkman Thursday Weblog Writers Mailing List to get together for dinner at The Bombay Club tonight. Buzz Bruggeman and Tom LeVine were in Cambridge after the Pop!Tech Conference. Buzz told Shimon and I about his company ActiveWords, a Windows application that alas, won't work on Zapata, my iBook. I may have to dust off my old Dell laptop to try it out. (Small detail: the Dell's monitor is mostly detached from the computer. It's not pretty.)

The Switch

While trying to wade through a zillion weblogs after being in NYC for the past six days, I caught up with Yves writing about his 2003 switch from The Yankees to The Red Sox.

Basecamp

I'm evaluating Basecamp, online project management software, for a client and my own projects. I sent them (Basecamp HQ) an email about a feature request/curiosity. It seemed worthwhile to be able to associate due dates with tasks. They do provide deadlines with milestones and you can also cross-reference a to do list with a particular milestone. But I thought it would be useful to also have dates associated with a to do list, too.

I received a very speedy response. When responding to my inquiry, Jason said:

We do not plan on adding dates to to-do items. Milestones have dates, but to-do items are simply to-do items. We're really working on keeping things simple and focused.

I would have to disagree with my request being a complicated and unfocused feature! But it was good to get a fast response nonetheless. Overall, Basecamp is a very interesting piece of web software. I've always wondered why there haven't been better tools out there (especially webby ones) so that we're not stuck with awful tools like Microsoft Project. Basecamp to the rescue? They have a weblog, too, called Everything Basecamp.

October 21, 2004

Reverse The Curse 2004

Reverse the Curse in 2004: Vote for John Kerry

Via the Boston Community at Live Journal.

The Red Sox Step Up

I told Michael the other day that the Red Sox finally, truly needed to step up. Who knew they could actually do it. Nice! I've been in NYC since Tuesday and haven't seen a single person on the subway wearing a Yankees hat, shirt, etc. Curious.

October 16, 2004

Photos from October Trip to Nebraska

Nebraska Sky taken while zooming along in a car on Highway 275

During my trip to Nebraska last week I took oodles of photographs when I was back for my grandmother's funeral. The above photo was taken while my sister Amy and I were zooming along Highway 275 from Fremont on our way to the airport in Omaha for my flight home to Boston. I finally had a chance to meet my new (first!) baby niece who was born in late May. I also scanned a few old photos that Amy found while cleaning out our mom's house to get it ready to sell. I especially like this photo of my grandparents, mom and uncle taken for a holiday card sometime in the early or mid 1960s. There's also a photo of my family taken at Easter 1978. Hopefully someone saved the photo of my sister and I at Easter the year before where we both had pigtails and bright red hair.

October 15, 2004

Thoughts on Networking, Part 1

I dislike the word networking. I dislike this word very, very much. I was telling an aquintance about a new project/biz I'm working on with a friend and his response was "I guess it pays to network." Argh! Anyone who was online before 1996 might remember that before people were "networking" they were making friends, sharing, collaborating and just getting to know other humans around the globe and making connections. I could care less what sort of usefulness another human might provide through "networking." In 2004, I'm starting to feel like this philosophy is in the minority. Now we have all these websites like Ryze, Orkut, Tribe and Friendster who presumably help us "network." Most of the time they seem more like redundant popularity contests. How many times do we need to retype in the same blah blah blah?

I suppose this is a rant. ;) I need to come up with a better way to describe what I do when I get people together for events/gatherings/etc. Or can we reclaim the word networking so it means something other than "what can you do for me"?

October 13, 2004

Photos from last night's Mix Tape Tuesday at the Paradise Lounge

Mix Tape Tuesday

Another fabulous evening of music at last night's Mix Tape Tuesday at the Paradise Lounge. I borrowed a friend's digital camera but forgot to charge up the batteries so the photo quality is not so great but here they are nonetheless. At one point there were a bunch of people watching the last inning of the Red Sox/Yankees game so Mike Viola and his musical cohorts ended up doing a sort of live rock opera play-by-play alongside the game. It was amusing. They handled the interruption to a very enjoyable music evening very well. I'm not sure I'd have been so nice. A highlight of the night was a rousing cover of Prince's "Purple Rain." Next time I also need to write down what songs they sing because there were other excellent tunes but I can't remember the titles. At one point Steve (of the amazing concert going duo) shouted out a request for "Always Saturday" by Guadalcanal Diary. I don't think I've run into anyone who has heard of that band in at least ten years. Unfortunately Mike Viola, host of the night's adventure, didn't know the song. That would have been a treat to hear. I'd like to pretend that Bleu just happened to be sitting at the bar and casually wandered up on stage to join in on a few tunes. But he was probably invited. The coolest part of this monthly series is the level of spontaneity. They have a few songs planned in advance but a lot of it seems to be very spur of the moment. They do a good job balancing the banter with the actual singing and performing.

October 11, 2004

Live Blogging from the Vote for Change Finale Concert

Mike C. is blogging from the finale concert of Moveon.org and ACT's Vote for Change tour in DC. Or rather, he was until Bruce Springsteen got on stage to sing "Man on the Moon" with REM. The webcast audio is outstanding for those of us stuck at home. An earlier highlight was Eddie Vedder joining REM for "Begin the Begin."

Mix Tape Tuesday tomorrow night at the Paradise Lounge

The latest monthly installment of Boston Pop Underground's "Mix Tape Tuesday" is tomorrow night at the Paradise Lounge. Mike Viola of The Candy Butchers hosts the cabaret-style anything goes evening featuring the theme "days of the week." He's joined by a handful of musicians including They Might Be Giants' bassist Danny Weinkauf. I missed last month but made it in August and it was spectacular. Best $8 you'll ever spend. The doors open at 8pm and it's 18+. The Lounge is adjacent to the Paradise Rock Club at 969 Commonwealth Avenue on the Green Line's "B" train past BU. See you there?

Sondre Lerche returns to Boston

Norwegian pop guy Sondre Lerche returns to Boston for a show at the Paradise Rock Club (969 Commonwealth Avenue on the MBTA Green Line "B" train) on Sunday, October 24th. Doors open at 7PM, it's an 18+ show and tickets are $12 in advance and $14 day of the show. He's got shows all over the U.S. throughout October, November and the first week in December. A favorite musician at my favorite music spot in Boston. All right! See you there?

October 05, 2004

Another farewell

My grandmother, Eileen Rose Branigan Smith, died today. I don't remember right now what year she was born but I think she was in her early 90s. She was an amazing person and I miss her immensely. Of all my family back in Nebraska, she and I were the closest. The funeral will most likely be on Friday so I'm flying out on Thursday. It's just so weird that my mom and grandmother died a year and a half apart. This is a photo I took of Grandma Smith in 2002.

October 03, 2004

Air America lands in Boston

Starting Monday, October 4, 2004 at 6am a new radio revolution takes over the Boston airwaves, AM 1200 and 1430 the new home of Air America-Progressive Talk. Offering the “other side” of the story that is dominated by the conservative talk show format.

Online surveillance system via RSS

If you'd like to monitor a few of my online activities, here are new RSS feeds for you.

October 02, 2004

An introduction to understanding the misunderstood Hip

Last night after I found the lyrics to The Tragically Hip's "Pigeon Camera" tune, I came across an excellent article at Tiny Mix Tapes about the Hip. It's always been a mystery to me why a band that has achieved cult-like status in their homeland of Canada has never really caught on more in the United States. Though I have appreciated being able to see them in small clubs. The best show was probably The Ranch Bowl in Omaha, Nebraska back in '92 or '93. The Ranch Bowl has three rooms: a bowling alley, bar and night club. The club probably fits a couple hundred people. The Hip put on one of the best live shows. Seeing them in such a small place was spectacular.

October 01, 2004

Pigeon Camera

The humans over at Engaget posted a funny photo of pigeons with cameras attached to themselves from 1903. So that's what The Tragically Hip were singing about in "Pigeon Camera"? Aha! And the last set of lyrics in that song sounds like an embarassed Bush supporter even though it was written a while ago.

it was handsome at the auction, oh but when we got it home, it grew up into something we could no longer contain where's our pigeon camera, by now he could be anywhere and after all that training and after all that training, something we could no longer contain it's boring, i'm embarrassed, i don't endorse that, i didn't want this

this house it has it politics; over there that's my room and that's my sister's and that's my sister something we could no longer contain it's boring, i'm embarrassed, i don't endorse that; i didn't want this, it's horrific, i'm embarrassed, i didn't want that, i didn't want this it's like we burned our boots with no contingency plan